Well I found some great books and here they are
new theories of everything by John D. BarrowISBN 978-0-19-954817-0
I've only finished the first couple of chapters of this book, but I can definitely tell that its a well written book.
John D. Barrow talks about the latest concepts in theoretical physics and mathematics that are geared towards finding the "theory--or theories-- of everything", sometimes referred to as M-theory.
Barrow talks a lot about the nature of the theory of everything, and throws many questions towards the reader than proposes his view on those questions. Questions like: What would a theory of everything look like? Would there be any initial conditions for such theory, and if there were, what would they be?
Most of the concepts he mentions are indeed very complex, but he is very adept at mentioning just enough about them so that even a layman could grasp the general overview of the concept. He also explains them quite well.
I'm eager to finish this book right now, but I'm saving it for my flight back to Cornell, cuz its gonna be a LOOOOOONG flight *sigh*
Second book I'll introduce today is titled:How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker
ISBN 978-0-14-2-4491-5
Now I'm also saving this book for the flight, but I read one of the chapters "The Mind's Eye", as I'm very interested about how visual information is processed, also because I have some background in that area.
It was enthralled by the book instantly :D This book also harbors various concepts that are not recognized by laymen, but "Steven Pinker has a remarkable capacity to explain difficult ideas." (The Times)
It seems to me that both of the books promise a rewarding intellectual journey. I'll enjoy them to the full extent on my flight :D
No comments:
Post a Comment